Saturday, May 26, 2007

Software testing FAQ - No. 24

Has a testing prank ever featured in top 10 list of pranks?

That question was sent in by former top prankster Sarah Kennedy. Perhaps she is researching a list of great pranks and has noticed the omission of anything great about software testing. I do not know why she wants to know this. But I do know the answer is yes.

In x-plorar blogger blog there is a post on the Top 25 Web Hoaxes and Pranks and there at number 3 is:

"Bill Gates Money Giveaway (1997)

No, it's true. I thought it was a scam, but it happened to a buddy of mine. It seems that Microsoft is testing some new program for tracing e-mail, and the company needs volunteers to help try the thing out. He forwarded me an e-mail that he received from Microsoft--and get this, from Bill Gates himself! Two weeks later, as a reward for participating, my pal received a check for thousands of dollars! Sure he did. Another version of this hoax claims that AOL's tracking service is offering a cash reward. Tell you what--when you get your check, send me 10 percent as a finder's fee, okay?"

There may be even better pranks than this that involve testing. Frankly I doubt it. If you think you can better this one, please let us know.